Resize VMDK on ESXi
You've created a Linux guest VM on ESXi, but now it's outgrown its original storage requirements and you need to resize it.
ESXi 7.0 Ubuntu 18.04
- 1.Navigate to web interface for ESXi. Find guest VM. You are not required to turn off the VM.
- 2.Select VM. Edit. Hard disk - change size for disk (if there is datastore space available).
- 3.SSH (or use console) into the guest VM. Make the following changes.
- 4.No reboot required.
parted ---pretend-input-tty /dev/sda resizepart 2 100%
partx -u /dev/sda
lvextend -r vg/lv_root /dev/sda2
- /dev/sda is the disk you've resized
- /dev/sdaX is the partition you have an LV sitting in/on
- /vg/lv_root is the logical volume name which you wish to resize